9/8/08

Renovations, part one million.

Did you forget that I am renovating my house?

Well technically, my dad is renovating my house. As we speak. He has been a superhero in terms of coming over when we're at work and plugging away at the G-D siding. We absconded with my brother's super-saw back in June and now he needs it back, so we're hustling. I say "we" but really it's "he". I work at it whenever I'm home but these days that's pretty rare.

It's coming along. We've been held up by a lazy electrician, but we're slogging away at the 'easy' wall. I say 'easy' because back when we started, we were all like "and then when we get to that wall, it'll be all fwoop fwoop fwoop super easy." But it has turned out to be a lot of fwoop fwoop, and a LOT of painting. We have used up the 10 foot, 11 foot, and now 12 foot boards, so we're working with 13-footers and having to cut them off.

We still have to:
- Finish the 'easy' wall
- have a light installed and the anchor replaced
- styrofoam the angled wall
- strapping on the angled wall
- styrofoam the long straight wall (4 feet wide)
- strap the long wall
- do the siding on both of these walls
- facia boards all around the house
- Remove the siding from the top three angled weird walls up high
- paint 4 windowframes dark red
- do the styrofoam, strapping, and subsequent siding on these three walls
- caulk the entire thing (we will hire someone for this).

The project became a two-year project, and we're now realizing that it'll be three years before we get all of this done, plus the new deck which was supposed to happen this fall. Part of it still may, depending on energy levels. We may leave the last 4 items on the list for next year, along with the sofit and eavestroughing we'll have to invest in.

(sigh).

Basically, we have completely rebuilt this shoddy house. I'd post pictures but it's frankly too depressing.

No comments: