3/6/09

Spring Things

Oy vey it's going to be a warm weekend, and I am so looking forward to losing our snow you have no idea.

We ran out of firewood about two weeks ago. We borrowed a batch from my parents, and hubby dug a pile of it out from underneath the snow last weekend (he had to split it, it was all wet, etc.), but it still hasn't been enough to indulge in fires on days that are not the coldest. If it goes below minus ten, sure, but above that, we've been sucking it up and wearing polar fleece.

I have a number of objectives for this spring (spring being defined as March, April, May). They are:
- start my seeds in the basement grow-op: zinnias, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, basil, and melons.
- install a new white tiled backsplash in my kitchen, to replace the beige/orange daisies we currently enjoy.
- chop down/thin out some of the cedar trees in the woods beside the house.
- get back into the groove of doctor's appointments that I've been neglecting.
- slip-cover my sofa.
- build a long raised bed out of previously-cut cedars from beside our house.
- Fix the fences on my veggie garden. Weed garden.
- Evaluate the perennial garden. Remove/move wrong or wrongly-placed things.
- Hire someone to replace my eavestrough and install sofit.
- Meet the guy from the municipality where our land is and tackle all the permits, assessments, etc.
- Install a cable run for Rosie somewhere where she won't get all tangled up but can still run around.
- Begin the siding project for one more (final) year.

Then we'll be on to summer. I think that's very reasonable, considering that I could do the first two in the coming two weekends, doctors' appointments are currently booked, and my mom is on the slip-cover case. Hubby loves to use his chainsaw, so he will be in charge of thinning the cedars. A number of things can't be started until late April, so everything has its place.

I am watching the sun shine into my dirty office windows, and it's 4:58 p.m. Daylight Savings is this weekend, which is wonderful, and means that while it'll be miserably dark when I get up in the morning, Rosie might sleep until 6:30 like she's supposed to, and by the time we get home at night, it'll be full-on bright when we take her for her walk.

I have a stressful week here at work next week, so wish me luck!

No comments: