3/15/10

Take that, snow.

I was right – spring is on its way. These days the temperatures are normally over 8 degrees, often as high as 12, and the snow is hastily making its exit. 'Tis the season of dog poo and snow mould, but I'm not complaining – my dryer broke down at the right time, because I've been happily hanging the laundry outside for the past couple of weeks.

Hubby and I took Rosie and hiked up the hill the other day to check for fallen deer antlers. We found nothing, but it was nice to get out and stretch my legs a bit. I found myself scampering up icy rock faces (not crazy high, don't anybody worry) and thought Dang, being pregnant's not that bad just yet. I am still fairly mobile, and I do believe my energy is restoring itself. Enough that the spring air has made me cleaning/organizing/renovating crazy, much to hubby's chagrin. I shouldn't say that – he's been patient and cooperative, it's just that I feel like everywhere I look something needs to be fixed or thrown out or cleaned or re-arranged. Maybe it's spring or maybe it's nesting but pretty soon it's going to make him snap, I'm sure of it. Thank god fishing season is around the corner and he'll be able to get away from me and my lists. Hi hubby, glad to have you until April 22.

I've been knitting quite a bit – I made a really cute bunting bag with a hood and pompom, which still needs to be finished off (ends woven in, zipper installed), and am working on an adorable little cardigan the colour of a cooked egg yolk. Mom says it's a girlie colour, but I can butch it up if need be. We'll see. Other projects on my list include a colourful baby blanket, which I hope to work on this summer so that I have something to occupy me in case labour is a drawn out process, and perhaps some little wooly pants to go with the egg yolk sweater – colour to be determined following the ultrasound. I'm sure I'll find 17 more things to knit along the way, but that's the list so far. I had started a sweater for myself and bought yarn for another sweater for hubby, but sorry hubby, grown-up knitting is on the back burner for awhile. I'm sure you understand. My mom's also been knitting, so my baby will never go cold. So far she has made the most beautiful white little outfit for bébé to wear home from the hospital or to receive visitors. It's light, so it'll be ok in August. She's also working on an adorable aran cable sweater. Remember how I once posted about how amazing my mom is? You should see the maternity clothes she's made me. I never have to set foot in Thyme Maternity to buy their crappy $69 pants again. She's even figured out maternity dress pants with the stretchy panel in front. She's such a pro.

Next week is my ultrasound and I'll be almost halfway through. I'm a bit worried about the ultrasound, only because we didn't do any of the 11 – 14 week genetic testing, so this is the first glimpse we'll have of the wee one since he or she was 3.7mm long and had no face. I hope it all goes well and will report back on the results, perhaps even with photos. He or she has started to kick me around a bit, I occasionally feel a light flicking sensation in my belly that isn't gas (I know my gas, and this isn't it).

I'm trying hard to pay attention at work, but it's frankly an uphill battle. The internet makes concentrating hard. I'm ticking down the days, so by my calculations, I have 95 working days left until I'm off on mat leave. Not that I'm counting or anything. At first I was like "mentally check out of work? No! Not me!" but here I am, signing up for prenatal and CPR classes, looking up ultrasound pictures online, and searching for a daycare spot for August 2011. I make it sound worse than it is, but overall, concentrating is a challenge, and baby stuff is fun and necessary. Whereas a couple of months ago I felt that August was a lifetime away, and I had all the time in the world to figure things out, all of a sudden I'm down to 5 months and things are starting to ramp up. My daycare search began late, apparently, at 17 weeks pregnant, and I've missed the boat on a couple of prenatal classes already. Our first baby shower is April 10, and already we've lined up stuff like an infant car seat, a playpen, and other necessities. Things are really moving now.

I'm going to take pictures of all the things I've made in the last while, because it's been awhile, and I've been busy. Aside from the knitting, I've also taken a pottery class (another pottery class) and made us a set of 8 plates for the cottage. They're all different sizes and colours but I think that's perfect for the cottage. They're quite cheery.

That's it for me this week- work will be busy from now until late next week, but by then I hope to have pictures of a healthy baby to show off. Fingers crossed.


 


 

1 comment:

Peggy Collins said...

Gen! I heard the AWESOME news... so exciting. Please please please send me a pic of your ultrasound.
Love and hugs peg, shawn, mo and Zaley!