5/20/10

May Two-Four

This weekend is the famed May 2-4 long weekend. And boy oh boy am I excited about it. Not for any great particular reason, just that I took Tuesday off so I have a four-day stretch of home-stuff ahead of me.

Saturday we have our day-long prenatal class. Jury's out on how useful this will be, but I want them to tell me A) at what point I'll need to go to the hospital, and B) how to make it hurt a bit less. The rest of the info I've been getting out of the doctors, who have been really helpful. I have a nice hospital, a nice team of doctors (so far, I've only met ¼ of them) and I'm really vocal (haha), so I don't have thousands of questions left.

After that we are picking up an Austrian carpenter at the airport. His name is George and he's being sent here to finish off brother-in-law's cottage, build the kitchen, the stairs, etc. I look forward to meeting him and seeing his work. We'll feed him and then Sunday we'll bring him up there and leave him to it. Perhaps we will get started on our dock while we're up there, and we'll finally bring Rosie up and let her swim to her heart's content – first time this year.

Monday hubby would like to fish, which will be fine as I'm sure I'll appreciate a day to myself by then as well. My plan is to garden: I'm gonna buy all my annuals, fill my pots with soil, and plant plant plant. This weekend everything will go in – the tomatoes (which I will have to harden off in the next couple of days), the squash seeds, bean seeds, nasturtiums, maybe some bok choy, and I might buy some pepper plants too just 'cause I'm stubborn and cannot accept a pepper-free lifestyle. I've already planted some basil (had to buy it – mine never came up) and broccoli, which is tiny but THERE, and the spinach and cilantro are about an inch-and-a-half high. The garden's overrun by mint, and rhubarb, and the garlic seems to be ok as well though I don't know that my second batch is really up yet. Oh, I will plant the potatoes this weekend too. What the heck, the weather's been really warm lately, and we need to get a move on.

Then I have Tuesday. Both days promise to be hot and sunny so who knows what the day will hold for me? There's some stuff in the baby's room that could be finished off, and I'm sure some cleaning to be done (more on this later) but I think I may do arts and crafts that day. Or at least the hottest part of that day. I may also build a little twig fence to hopefully keep the dog out of the perennial garden because she's trampled some of my irises and alliums, and I am not happy about this.

Back to the cleaning; did I mention that I have a cleaning lady now? Two cleaning ladies actually, a mother-daughter team. They came last Thursday for the first time and spent 3 hours moving furniture and cleaning corners of my house that have never been touched by human hands (at least not my human hands). Their rate is reasonable, and they claim they can do the dusting, pet hair removal, bathroom, kitchen and floors in an hour every second week. We still have some boundary issues to work out (for example, they don't have to take out our recycling because hubby is very particular about that, and they don't have to go upstairs) but all in all I am pleased and excited, and it relieves a lot of pressure, arguments and strain on my growing body.

So woooo May 2-4. I hope you all have a cold beer for me.

No comments: