6/23/10

Bits and bites

Every conversation I have these days:

"Hey you! How are you doing? When are you due?"

"August."


"Wow, that's coming up. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"


"A girl. Hopefully, 'cause you know, otherwise he'll be wearing lots of girlie stuff."


"Wow, great. Any names picked yet?"

"Well, we have a shortlist. Haven't made the final decision."

"What's on the shortlist?"


"There are a bunch, and they keep changing."


"What are some of them?"

"If you ask me again I'm going to shoot you in the knees." (Ok I made up that last part but you get the drift.)

It's getting a bit repetitive. I understand that people are fascinated or feel compelled to discuss life-changing events, but just once I wish someone would ask me something interesting like "what are your strange ailments this week?" or "what crazy nesting things have you done recently?"

So let's talk about something else. We're at a lovely point right now where the bulk of our major summer projects are done. The house is all blue now, the garden is in though kind of completely neglected, brother-in-law's cottage is safely in the hands of Georg the Austrian carpenter and is looking mighty fine, and we have a dock. We haven't really used it much yet, and you can't yet walk onto it from land (we need to build one more little section, but that can wait) but the dock itself is pretty spectacular if I do say so myself. It took us two full weekends to build. The first weekend the weather was crap: we packed the truck to the tits and stacked a ton of wood into our motorboat, on its trailer, and pulled the lot of it up to the lake. We did two loads in the motorboat, from the boat launch to our beach (much easier than walking everything down the hill to the waterfront on our own piece of land). It drizzled most of the day and was windy, but it kept the bugs off of us as we worked. The second day we managed to get one dock almost done (without decking) and the outline of the second piece done. There it sat for a whole week. The following Saturday, we were joined by my mom and dad, and we finished it all off, hooked it together, and just tied it to a tree. The weather was glorious and much fun was had by all. On Sunday, hubby and I went up and transported the weights across the lake in the boat, put the dock into position, anchored it and chained it into place. Then we dove off of it. Apparently pregnant ladies aren't supposed to dive but I took the chance and I think everything's ok – baby still kicks and rolls with the best of 'em so I'm not too worried. I burnt my belly. Here's our dock as it floats today:


This weekend, we will likely attach our temporary ramp, dock ladder, and boat cleats to complete the picture (for now). THEN I will wait on pins and needles until my latest acquisition comes in the mail, which is one of these:

To REALLY complete the picture. Too bad I can't paint a margarita into the frame.

Once that's all done it's all about enjoying it. I have next week off work (I know, decadent eh? To take a week off one month before leaving on a year's mat leave?) so I will probably grab the dog a couple of times and go up there to swim and hang out with Georg and Mrs. Georg and the little Georges, who arrive Monday. Then there are a few weekends in July that we can spend up at the trailer, before the insanity begins.

Speaking of insanity, the writing of this post was just interrupted by a 5.5 magnitude earthquake. Freaky. Time to go!

No comments: