7/24/08

Another post with zero pictures

I always forget my camera, or my cables, or both, so you are treated to another post with no pictures.

I just got back from the kind of weekend where one needs a few days of nothing but water and lemon juice to clean out one's pipes. I actually overheard one jolly fellow say "I'm gonna have this cigarette then go find my pants." It was that kind of weekend. I found myself unable to stop disco dancing beside a campfire, which is unusual behaviour for me. At least I wasn't alone.

And my dog was kind of embarrassing. She was generally very well-behaved and sweet. However, she ate the following non-dog-food items this past weekend: the steak right off of someone's plate three doors down, a big chunk of banana cake with cream cheese icing, potato salad, a turkey burger, pieces of a tofu-and-jerk-chicken skewer, and a bunch of random buns and chips. Needless to say, we were at the vet last night dealing with a bit of gastric upset, manifested in scary poos. Sorry, too much information. And a warning: dogs are expensive.

We shared a cabin with my girlfriend Fiona (jeweller extraordinaire, who re-made my engagement ring after last year's mishap) and her hysterically funny partner Dom. Who is english, and could preface anything with "Dahling" and make it sound sweet. They brought their pooch and the doggies got along famously, and they also brought their very loud sound system. We had a lot of cocktails and partied to the wee hours and busted a gut laughing, which felt like a million bucks. At one point, the cabin beside us was briefly (2 songs?) transformed into a nightclub, complete with couch-dancing and flashlight strobes. Good times. We called it the Canadian Shield Dance Party and I'm sure the noise of it carried across the lake like crazy and irritated all the rich cottagers.

This weekend we're having a gathering at our place and I'm a bit worried. About the weather, about people not coming, and about the little black food thief. I think it might be embarrassing. I may have to tie her up on her rope, which she won't like, which will make her bark, or if there are no other dogs there I may get Grandma and Grandpa to take her for the night.

Onto the requisite garden talk: Remember when I said I didn't have any grapes? I lied - they were just hiding. I have a LOT of grapes. I don't know what they will taste like or whether they'll make it, hiding from the birds and the bugs, but I look forward to trying. Also I still have some plums on the tree, and they're getting larger, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will at least have a few.

The veggies are great and there's no sign of cucumber beetles yet (knock on wood), though I would like it to stop being so damp out so the slug-fest can end. I hate the damn slugs. Pretty soon I will be pulling up potatoes, garlic, and onions, and will be able to start eating beans soon enough as well. I have baby tomatos and the peppers are getting ready to do their thing, so I am getting the diatomaceous earth tomorrow. Pumpkins are in full bloom and are awesome, though I don't think they like this rainy dark weather either. The rest is a bit of a messy jungle. When fall comes I will move the strawberries around a bit because I planted them too tightly. I should also rip out the borage before it drops seeds, because I am really starting to resent it.

Hey can everyone who reads this post leave a comment of some sort? I think I'm yodelling into the darkness here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Genny! You're not in the dark, have been reading you via google reader for some time now. Love your posting style :)

Borage is a real bugger though... I thought I had pulled it all last year, but it's still trying to take over the garden this year...

Anna