9/25/09

Fall Obsession

Well fall is officially here, which I could have told you without even looking at the calendar. There’s a bite in the air, especially at night, and we know that even if it gets hot in the day, the sleeping will be cool and comfortable at night. The sumacs are electric red, if that's a colour. I think I have to bring in my peppers, pick the rest of my tomatoes, and plant my garlic this weekend.

We had a visitor yesterday – a rude houseguest who trampled the perennials in front of my deck, ate the apples off of my tree, took a big poop in front of my veggie garden, and then crushed my plume poppies on the way out of the yard. I think he had a rather large bottom, by the looks of things. Tonight we are going to go to Canadian Tire and buy one of these, because how many times have I thought that I wanted one over the last 7 years? Too many to count. I am looking forward to it; if we get good shots I will definitely share. Fun for home and cottage!

I was having this discussion with my sister-in-law today: it is fall and for some biological crazy reason, all I can think about is food. I am packing it on. I’m not alone in this so don’t get excited or anything, but fall is when the bear in me goes “get fat and hibernate.” Maybe if I kept my house warmer in winter, that urge would go away? I eat one thing and start thinking about the next. I feel like baking, even though I don’t specifically know what to make or how I’m going to eat it. I’ve started to crave stews and things with apples in them. She mentioned pumpkins and I went “oooh I haven’t even thought about pumpkins yet!” I want to buy some squash this weekend just for the sake of buying and having squash in my house. Is that ridiculous?

So this weekend, on top of cleaning the house and garden and preparing for more guests, I want to bake things with apples, buy a bunch of squash, buy organic garlic and plant it, pick the apples off of our trees to save them from the wildlife, and plan things to bake and experiment on with pumpkins this fall (pumpkin cinnamon buns? Pumpkin pasta? Pumpkin cookies?) Man I am hungry already. What time is lunch?

No comments: