10/19/05

Shifting Priorities

I have been a terrible blogger of late. As with everything I do, I'm really enthusiastic about it for about three weeks then I let it drop. I'm thinking that the dip in enthusiasm on this particular project is due to the fact that since we returned from the wedding (a shocking two-and-a-half months ago) I have neglected my garden to the point where it feels like someone else's yard. The lawn is about two feet tall and I am not exaggerating. I've let vegetables go bad on the vine and gave up on weeding ages ago. I am a bad blogger and apparently a bad gardener too.

In other news, fall is here in full force and it's been a wet one. Hubby and I are trying to hunker down and get our fall chores completed but we're being waylaid by travel plans and a lot of rain. Our to-do list this month includes stacking the remainder of our 10 cords of firewood into the shed, replacing the door in the basement, and building an awning/small overhang over the main door upstairs. When the snow starts to fall, I'm also going to remove the eavestrough on the north side of the house. We had a lot of leakage last winter, it was hellish and threw me into the depths of despair for about a week. I hate putting bowls down to catch water falling from the ceiling in my own kitchen. Whoever designed my house should be kicked in the shins.

So far Eric has managed to get 2/3 of the wood into the shed, and we've bought a new door, which is sitting in our basement. We've also designed and argued over the overhang. I figure it's a day project.

To thwart all of my plans, since the middle of September I have been to Vancouver (4 days) Toronto (2 days) St. John's Newfoundland (5 days) and Toronto again (2 days). Friday I'm off to Montreal. I don't put my suitcase away in the closet anymore. I am sick of airports and of Tim Horton's. My friends all think that the travelling is very glamorous and exciting and I will tell you that it's not; it's dirty and exhausting and makes my back hurt. The food is bad and I come home with an inch of grime on my face. I end up sitting in badly-lit airport waiting rooms, eating unhealthy things and talking to strangers at hours when I'd rather be cuddling in bed with warm cats and my knitting.

This weekend, i will probably mulch a bunch of plants, rip out a bunch of plants, and try to put things to bed a bit. Our focus now has to be on the inside, and on making sure our house is sound and warm for the winter. Soon we'll get the woodstove cranked up and we'll be off to the races for another season of frosty hijinks. At least I'll have warm blankets, good food, soft cats, a lovely husband, and my knitting.

No comments: