7/13/07

Tangled up in Blue

I've been back at work for two weeks, and the new-siding project has suffered considerably.

So far, I've only managed to stain a handful of boards. We've encountered setbacks: the delivery kept getting pushed back, it rained and rained, we had to stain only the boards that fit under the large screen tent we have set up in the yard, and we've been out at Bluesfest every single night.

Just to let you know, in case you were wondering, I'm not a blues fan. So before I get tarred with that 4/4 brush, while I can certainly appreciate the classics and the true Delta Blues, I'm not in any way a fan of contemporary blues music. In fact it repels me. However, this year our local bluesfest has benefitted from outside-the-box programming, and we have so far seen: Bob Dylan, Manu Chao, Michael Franti and Spearhead, The White Stripes (the best blues I've personally ever heard live), City and Colour, Femi Kuti, George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars, the Steve Miller band, Cat Power, tonight we'll see Tokyo Police Club, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, and Metric, and tomorrow night is DJ Champion and Kanye West. So you can see that our evenings have been filled and our feet sore from dancing.

When I'm not out bluesfesting, I'm staining boards blue. So I have a theme colour this week.

The house is going to look fabulous when it's done - I can hardly wait. Already my dad nailed up a few boards and it just looks so tidy and solid that I could cry. We will be warm this winter, dammit, what with all that styrofoam.

Nothing much else is new. I'm tired all the time from work and bluesfest and from constant cloudy rainy weather, the house is a mess, and the cat has started staying out all night again recently. Just when I thought he was cured of his evil spirits. The two of them have been rangy lately, probably because their routine is disrupted by our staying out late. The grass is too long; it seems to be the first thing that goes, but in all fairness, it's only because every day it's been too wet to mow. It seriously rains every single day. I haven't watered the garden or any of my pots in ages.

Thank god bluesfest is over soon so I can get some rest and get that siding up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun...George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic!? Too much fun.

If you lived closer I'd come over and stain boards with you.