1/22/09

A Really Uneventful Week

So nothing much happened this week. Just status quo. Nothing to watch on t.v., no exciting international events, nothing. Yawn. What a tedious week.

Oh except for that whole Barack-Obama-thing. But what's so exciting about that? So he's the first African-American US President. So he's young and sexy. Who cares that he has a gorgeous amazon of a wife? And the fact that he's been in office only two days and is already on his way to fixing everything is so banal.

In all seriousness, it's like the second coming. I am a huge fan. I drank the kool-aid and loved it! Gimme more! I could not watch ENOUGH inauguration footage. I even watched the boring marching bands (actually not so boring - did you see the one with the ladies in the gold pants?) I worry that he's going to burn himself out though. I mean, save some work for next week. Take the weekend off. I love how he's like "this morning: shut down Guantanamo and broker peace in the Middle East. This afternoon: cap salaries and make government more transparant. Make peace with Cuba. Then have an open-house party, confirm my Secretary of State, and re-take my oath. Tomorrow maybe I'll work on the economy. On Friday: fix the environment." And I thought my schedule was tough.

At least he works from home.

In other news, my parents are in Cuba. Rosie's been at day-care all week and she's so pooped. Every morning now, she stands at the door and looks at me beseechingly, like 'please can't I just spend 11 quiet hours sleeping in my crate today?' but she's still so excited when she gets there she's totally out of control. It's a little embarrassing. I worry about her throat and neck because she pulls so hard, she barrels in the door to go find her friends, which is technically bad behaviour but so damn cute because all the dogs seem wait for her. Cesar Millan would not approve. Anyway she's a peach at home, so Cesar was right: exercise, discipline and affection in that order. Except that with the first and the last, the middle one is almost totally unnecessary. She's been really good all week. It's hard for her to get into crap when she's lying on the floor snoring.

Parental units are getting back tomorrow so Rosie will be back to normal. She will be beyond excited to see gramma, and will likely pee all over the place.

Also, on Saturday Farley goes to his new parents. We said "anytime after 9 am would be fine" and the husband said "we will be there at 9:01." I love that they are so excited. Farley got fixed (he would argue that he was not broken) on Tuesday, to celebrate the inauguration, and he looks like a little baboon with his shaved arse. Poor guy. I wonder if it's cold? I have pre-warned the new parents not to be put off by the baldness. Farley seems perfectly happy, like he has no clue what happened, which is for the best I guess. Tomorrow night I will brush him again for one last time (I've already removed a bunch of dreadlocks, most noteably from under his chin), and attempt to cut his toenails so he's all ready to be on his best behaviour at his new house. I won't be at all sad to see him go, because I know he's going to the best possible home.

So after this weekend we should be back to normal. I promise to clean out the basement and maybe even start letting Rosie down there. It'll be nice and cool for her in the summer.

Last weekend was a blast: we took Rosie to town. She was great! She only tried to jump on a couple of people but it was pretty easy to deal with using the harness. She sniffed the ground constantly, which made me realize that the city's a horrible place for dogs. There's crap everywhere! Cigarette butts, frozen vomit, food bits, garbage - it's so distracting for a country dog! That's likely why she was too busy to jump on anyone. But she walked beside us, was friendly to strangers (especially those carrying bags of food), was very popular, sat before crossing the street and was not at all put off by the traffic. It was total saturation. We were walking around for an hour and a half and she slept all evening long, she was so exhausted.

The next day my brother, his girlfriend, hubby and I took the dogs up the mountain for some snowshoeing, which was beautiful and exhausted the dogs once again, and then we all went out for dinner (not the dogs) for his girlfriend's birthday. Fun times.

We went skiing Monday. God we sound so active. And god, we are not really. I have sat on the couch and knitted a sweater every evening since. It's coming along though! I'll be on to the sleeves soon enough.

That's all I've got for now, but WHAT an exciting week! Jam-packed full of heart-warming goodness.

No comments: