10/15/09

Pizza Night!

So evidently my mother now feels that she needs to make my lunch before I go to work and/or drive in to give it to me, to make sure that I get a healthy balanced meal every day and don’t waste my money. Sorry Mom, I didn’t mean to make you concerned. And today’s Moroccan vegetable soup and strip of baguette is delicious so please don’t start delivery just yet.

Tonight is pizza night. We are creatures of habit, my hubby and I, and so every Thursday night since approximately 1999 we have had pizza for dinner. We’re flexible on this of course – sometimes we go out for dinner, as we did last week (it was Thai). Sometimes pizza doesn’t make sense, either because there’s something else that absolutely has to be eaten before it turns green or we’re out of the ingredients. Yes that’s right, ingredients – our pizza is homemade. We have an amazing pizzeria in our small town (we have almost no delivery food in our region except pizza, and we have about four pizza options) but it’s for special occasions only because it’s a bit expensive. It’s so good that our German and Austrian visitors annually request Luigi’s at at least one point during their stay. But I digress.

I make my pizza dough in the breadmaker, once every three weeks (theoretically). I put it on the ‘dough’ setting and take it out when it’s a large fluffy warm blob, I divide it into three portions, I roll/shape them into pizza shapes (not exactly round) and then I half-bake them. They go into the freezer after that, to be pulled out one by one every Thursday night as soon as we get home from work. It’s all very well-orchestrated: Rosie goes to daycare Thursdays so we go and pick her up first, and then when we get home, she doesn’t really need a full walk because she’s been running around all day. Hubby gets a crust out of the freezer and I start chopping. Our Thursday pizza usually has the same toppings each week, with some room for variety: sauce, pepperoni, red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, mozzarella and feta cheese. I am so confident in this combination that I am able to buy the vats of sun-dried tomatoes at Costco. Hubby grates the cheese and the pizza goes into the oven for a few minutes, to be ready at approximately 8 pm when our t.v. shows start. We eat it on the couch in front of the television and Rosie’s (hopefully) so zonked that she doesn’t harass us too badly, and falls asleep soon after. We proceed to watch two hours of fine comedic television programming. Ah Thursdays.

NBC is the pizza network at our house. We find NBC on the dial at about 7:54 and stay with it until 10 p.m., until we switch to the CBC for the national news. These days we get to enjoy the weird Saturday Night Live Weekend Update not-so-Saturday special, Parks and Recreation (which is really getting its legs these days), The Office (Jim and Pam’s wedding last week made me cry), and then Community, a new addition to our roster that we’re 75% enthusiastic about.

I’m not sure what’s going to happen tonight, however, because tonight is special: it’s the season’s premiere of our all-time favourite, 30 Rock. 30 Rock is the jewel of Thursday’s crown and takes precedence over everything else so I’m pretty sure that the weird SNL show has to go, and the schedule will shift back, making room for the three real shows (The Office, P+R, Community) before 30 Rock, which usually has to be on at 9:30 p.m. due I’m sure to its fairly-mature content. We’ll see. I am a super big ladynerd when it comes to Thursday night television so I just checked NBC’s website and indeed: Community, Parks + Recreation, The Office, and 30 Rock. Only 6.5 hours to go.

No comments: