8/18/05

Nasty Blog Spam

It seems to me that whenever a new form of communication is introduced into the world, there's an element of the population which seeks to infilatrate it with junk of some sort. Usually, this spam is supposed to be selling us something - low interest mortgages, penis enhancements, russian brides, free payments on a student loan - but I wonder: what the likelihood is that some unsuspecting person one day will open up their email account and say "Hey now, this nice polite African gentleman seems to need help. I should send some money to him." or "you know, I've always wanted bigger boobs. I think I'll click on this random email from this person whose scrambled name I don't recognize." Does this sales tactic actually work? I wonder what business school teaches this as sound practice (probably one advertised on the internet).

Who are these people that sign up for email accounts, blogger accounts, web page addresses, with the sole purpose of sending crap into the world? They're as bad as phone solicitors, only phone solicitors often take the hint and don't call you back. The most insidious thing about spammers is that they seem to be brainless robots, because what actual person would make that their job description? (At a party: "hey, what do you do for a living?" "I send random emails to people advertizing penis enhancements.") Can you imagine? Now that's an ice-breaker.

The spammers have discovered the lucrative sales arena of the comments section in my blog. I'll bet they rest easier knowing that they've spread the word to the eight or so people who actually read this thing. MikePrice or whatever the robot's name might be, I think it's time you went out and got a job with sunlight, 'cause you're not going to convince any of us to pony up.

I find it sad that nothing's free from this kind of human junk. Perhaps I'm an innocent, but I feel like some things should just be straight-up, no-nonsense, communication. A few pictures here and there, a bit of news, but no intrusions. I can think of nothing in the world that repels the touch of someone who feels the need to put their mark on something, anything; humans have to go and scribble all over every surface that becomes available. There's no respect - everyone always has to one-up it with their own mark. It's what we do: we build things or discover things and then proceed to put our names on them and, eventually, to destroy them. Maybe I'm overreacting, and mashing two issues (one small, one really large) together, but I'm just sick of it.

2 comments:

Amy Urquhart said...

Hear, hear! I've had a few unwanted comments/soliciations, too. I'm just going to delete them.

Amy Urquhart said...

Okay, I got FIVE blog spam messages since my post two hours ago. That's it, I'm changing my preferences to say that only Blogger members can comment, which sucks, of course, but hopefully that will help.